Monday, December 27, 2010

Sheep Mountain - 2010

Sheep Mountain Lodge put on yet another great race, offering one of the best  and most challenging trails in Alaska.  Spectacular views, steep and grinding ascents and descents, a competitive field of mushers.  All we could desire. 

My goal was to not make the mistake I made in 2008 - going too fast at the start of the 2nd run; I succeeded at that but think I likely went to fast on the first run given the training we had in preparation.  So our first run had us tied for 3rd with four others, 2nd run in 7th.  I started out on my third run only to see that two dogs - big Barney and leader, Athena - were a bit stiff.  I suspected too that Abbie might be too.  Thinking they would warm up I continued roughly three miles down the trail and then concluded it was not in their best interest. Where there is smoke there may be fire, so I wanted to be careful not to overdo.

Above (Abbie and Adams) and below (Jeff and Screamer) are two great pics made by Theresa Daily at the start:

No comments: